Payette River and Kayak and rear death adventure

We tried kayaking the Payette River yesterday and the first trip went well.  I put Bobby and Cindy in the rubber duck kayak and they took off from the city water park which was about a mile from the campground where we are staying.  They were going to do the 45 minute float to the Arrowhead Campground and I would meet them there and help pull the kayak from the river.  All went well and they made it through one of the worse rapids for this trip,  It took less than 45 minutes for them to float to the Arrowhead Campground where I was waiting. 

Then it was my turn to go in the single kayak.( the neon green snail)  Well we went to the water park where you put in for this trip and you have to go through one large rapid to get to the smooth water where it takes about 45 minutes to get to the destination.  Well I put in and everything was going smooth until I hit the first big rapid and then the water filled the kayak and it turned over with me.  I struggled to get back up and the kayak was filled with water and upside down.  I was in turbulent water and was hanging on to the kayak and the paddle for dear life.  I was not about to loose my hat either and that was the hardest part keeping it on my head.  I tried to swim with the kayak and paddle to the other side of the bank but the current caught me and I was going around and around in it and could not get loose to go to the other side, so I could get the water out of the kayak and get myself back in it.  I managed to get to a rock bank with huge rocks and tried to get the water out but it was hard and I was exhausted and could not pull it up enough to get the water out.  I was exhausted because the current was trying to push me fast down stream and there was huge rocks that I was dodging trying not to get my legs broken.

Finally another kayak person came to my rescue and help me get the kayak to a sand bar about 100 yards  away and he used his kayak to keep mine from floating past.  He finished turning my kayak to the sand bar and I had to swim.  I was so tired.  The current just about got the best of me and I tried to stand at the sand bar but could not.  I finally got to my feet and made it to where the fellow in the other kayak had gotten my kayak and emptied the water.

 The water was extremely cold and I was exhausted by the time I got back in the kayak. I must have struggled for about 45 minutes in the cold water.  The good Lord was looking after me to get me through this because I could see where someone  might panic may not have made it.  With the Lords help I was able to keep calm and get to safety.  After the help from the other kayaker I was able to get back in the kayak and make the 45 minute trip to the Arrowhead landing without any problems.

All these photos were taken by Cindy who was on the bank, documenting the event for the insurance companies!!  After seeing these I wondered how concerned she was (just kidding).

O.K. This is Cindy. Me and Bobby were standing on the rocks to make sure JR got past the rapids. I was taking pictures and Bobby yelled, " He's over, he's over."  I looked up from the camera and NO JR.  I had earlier told Bobby when we were in the rapids, to not panic. Bobby had panicked and hit me in the head with the paddle.
Then the green slime  ( JR's green kayak )  popped up. Then JR's hat popped up, thank GOD with JR's head in it. Bobby was running down the rocks to jump in the rapids to JR. I am screaming no, cause Bobby did not have a life vest on. Now Bobby can swim like a fish but still he didn't have a vest on. People came running to us and asked if he, J.R. needed help.? I waived at JR and he waived back. Again I was trying NOT to panic. I saw JR holding onto the green slime, turned upside down and trying to get to the edge of the bank. He did get to the rocks and was just sitting there. I knew he was exhausted and the water was really cold. Then a guy on a kayak ( the small ones that professionals use ) saw us and saw JR and went to JR's rescue.
Thank GOD.  Now I had 911 already selected in my phone. Again trying not to panic. JR had waived at me that he was ok. Me and Bobby did not leave the rocks until JR was back in the green slime and headed down the river.  







Little green kayak against the rocks





Kayaker to the left coming to rescue me.

Home Safe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoshone Ice Caves

Royal Gorge

Sedona and surrounding area 2nd day