Mt. Ree Neer









Ok, so we went to Mt.  Rainier yesterday.  They pronounce it Ru Neer.  Wondered why everyone was looking at me funny when I would say the name, now I know.  Mt. Rainier is closer than Mt. St. Helens to us so it did not take long to get there and the drive was good.  It is out in the country and I mean country.  The radio station for the mountain, which broadcast emergency and general information warns you there is no cell service and no gas and tell you where to stop to get it.  We stopped in Ashford which is a small town with about three stores and a gas station that sold diesel for 3.19 a gallon.  I about had a heart attack when I saw that but thankfully I only wanted to top off the tank.  It cost me $30 for that and it was 3/4 full.  We saw this old country store and I wanted to go inside to see what they had and buy something for a picnic lunch.  Thinking that there would be an old gentleman or lady there that owned the store would help us.  Well to my surprise the person looked a lot like the person that owns and runs your local 7/11, Quick Stop, Quick Mart, or Pantry Store.  Imagine that!  I guess mom and pop sold the place.

Anyway we get the stuff for a lunch and head to the park.  It is nice but when you have been to Yosemite there is nothing that can match those waterfalls and canyons.  But Mt. Rainier did have some great views.

We went to Paradise Point and had lunch.  It is one of the closest places you can drive to get close to Mt. Rainier without hiking.  We were not up for a hike that high up and there was snow all over it anyway.

We traveled about half way around the road that loops the mountain and then we cut back to Hwy 123 and went through Gifford-Pinchot National Forest to home.


Notice how grey the water is.  They have signs saying that this is from Glacier Flour.  I do not know what that is!!
Just finished lunch at out table in the shade










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoshone Ice Caves

Royal Gorge

Sedona and surrounding area 2nd day